April 4, 2005

5 Stages of Learning Software

I know, I know, for someone who says that software doesn't matter I sure seem to bring up the topic of software a lot. But this has been rattling around in my brain and I thought I should let it out.

Sense coming to Sony I've had to learn Sony's new software. They use Maya here at Sony. I've used Maya in the past, but I haven't used it in a long time, so it's almost completely new to me. Most of my career has been on Proprietary software. And as I've said in the past proprietary software can be very, very, very different then other software. You'd be surprised. So Maya, with all of it's user friendly interface, and buttons, handles, etc, seems really foreign to me.

This is something I've noticed that happens with myself and other people I've worked with. There are five stages to learning new software:

  1. Denial "The software can't work like this, this is not happening"
  2. Anger "How dare they use software , I've used much better stuff"
  3. Bargaining "Maybe I can convince them to switch, or change what they have. Once they see my way, they'll have to change"
  4. Depression "I can't believe I'm going to have to use this crap"
  5. Acceptance "I don't want to struggle any more. I guess I can use this."

Some of you might recognize this list from the 1969 book by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross called On Death and Dying. I have to say it's all true:)

No comments: