October 13, 2005

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Wendsday night is date night for my wife and I. It's the night that Allison's mom takes care of our spawn and we get to do something my ourselves for a little while. Sometimes this involves seeing a movie. We were tempted to see MirrorMask, and part of me wonders if we should, I don't know if it will last in the theater much longer. But my wife said it was my decision. Wallace and Gromit was playing at my favorite theater: The Cinaramadome and I just couldn't miss seeing it in such a good theater.

I have to say, not only is this one of the best animated films I had ever seen, it's one of the best films I have ever seen. This is easily the best thing that Aardman has done, and I'm a big fan of Aardman's work. I don't want to say anything more, I don't want to spoil anything (unlike Seward St did last week, I really wish he would not have done that). Talk about classic film making techniques, he really established the characters, their historys, and their obsessions with one camera pan before the credits even came up. It reminded me of Hitchcock's Rear Window. All the characters are top notch, with great animation. The rabbits are just amazing, I don't know how they did so many at once. It also has great references to Jaws, Teen Wolf, and American Werewolf in London to name a few.

Go see it, you'll enjoy it quite a lot. I certainly had a great time.

It was also nice to see that they listed the baby's born during production of the film (Production Babys). A couple good friends of mine had a baby named Felix who I was happy to see in the list. I was really hoping Quinn would make it into Madagascar's credits but they didn't do that:(

I should add that the night was toped off by gong to Ameba next door and finding not one, not two but three really rare DJ Shadow Live CDs, all used, all for under 8.99. It was just a good night all around:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should totally go see Mirrormask next chance you get. After seeing what terrible reviews it got, I went in pretty apprehensive, but I came out totally wowed and delighted. It's not a perfect film, but it's a completely original work of art, and the detail is so nice you *have* to see it on the big screen.

(In fact, I liked it better than Corpse Bride. There. I've said it. ;-)

Anonymous said...

total accident/brain fart Ethan - my apologies.

Glad you liked the movie too.

Anonymous said...

the Wallace and Grommit edition of Animation Magazine explained how they used cg rabbits in many of the overpopulated shots ;)