January 31, 2006

Academy Award Nominations

New Host For Oscars

The Nominations for the Academy Awards came in today, although the biggest announcement for me was that John Stewart was going to host the awards. I'm a big fan of The Daily Show, so I know I'll be watching out for him. Brokeback Mountain got 8 nominations which is pretty big news for a non-Blockbuster-FX heavy type film:

Best Animated Feature:
Howl's Moving Castle
Corpse Bride
Walace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were Rabbit


Best Animated Short:
Badgered
The Moon and the Son: An Imagined Conversation
The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello
9
One Man Band

Best FX:
The Chronicals of Narnia
King Kong
War of the Worlds

Best Motion Picture:
Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Crash
Good Night, and Good Luck
Munich

I haven't seen Corps Bride yet, (I'll be picking it up on DVD today, from what I've seen the animation is incredible), but I hope Walace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were Rabbit gets the award, it's a very solid film and one of my favorites from 2005. I haven't seen any of the animated shorts yet, I'd really like to, they usually do a screening of the nominated shorts at work I'll have to catch that. There's no question about King Kong winning, and there's no question about Brokeback Mountain winning either, I'll be surprised if it doesn't get all 8.

Added:

Cartoon Brew noticed that of all the nominated Animated Features, for the first time, none of them are CG films. I didn't notice this the first time I looked at the list, but it's true, and kinda cool. Sure they used some CG animation in Walace & Gromit and in Howl's Moving Castle (I don't know about Corps Bride) but they're not fully CG films.

No comments: